THE TINDERBOX

Monday, November 22, 2010

You Start to Feel Cool When:



You start to feel cool when:

1.) You are at a show and you know the band.
2.) You are at a show and you know the band and they are killin it.  (Musician talk for "awesome")
3.) You are at a show and you know the band and they are killin it, but you have to rush outside before you can congratulate them for killin it because your producer friend calls you to pitch a new idea.
4.) Your producer friend has a british accent.
5.) Your producer friend has a british accent and is Austin Powers reincarnate.
6.) Your producer friend has a british accent and pitches a new idea that has to do with wild animals.
7.) Your lawyer is calling on the other line while your producer friend with a british accent pitches a new idea that has to do with while animals.
8.) This happens at least once a week.
9.) You and your lawyer like to get frozen yogurt sometimes.


As much as I feel like your normal, average, run-of-the-mill girl... I have come to realize that my life isn't quite normal.



Exhibit A:

FRIDAY
Bannerhill played our first show with the new linuep.  We chose to play a secret show because we wanted to take time to polish our set before we start playing for... well... you!

Now, follow me with this....  Imagine playing for thousands of screaming folks a night.  As the bassist and backup singer, your job is to not mess up and look like you're having a blast.  Realistically, no one is there to see you, so the pressure is relatively low.   Now imagine playing to a room just small enough to see the face of every kid... and they don't know a single word.  As the lead singer, it's my job to carry the show, to make us memorable, to give every single person in the room a reason to care about our music.  It was the first time I've had butterflies in years.

So, if that weren't abnormal enough, what happened afterwards just put the night over the edge.  As I walk to the sound board... my former band mate walks up.

...

That's right.  The one I wrote about before.  Now, I'm sure you can imagine that it was a tense interaction.  After all, we hadn't spoken in months, and there are some high emotions running on both sides of our conflict.  As we are in the process of working everything out, I will refrain this time from going into detail.  But still.

Verdict: Abnormal


Exhibit B:

SATURDAY
Yellowcard played their first show in three years.  Valerie was onstage during the whole set, drum teching for LP, and I got to rock out from the crowd with Joan, LP's fiancee.

A little bit of back story, I remember being 14 and waiting outside in the rain to see Yellowcard play.  And since that show, I had seen them play at least another half a dozen times. I know every song by heart.  I am that girl.  So imagine the suppressed freak out when i learned 1) I would be touring with LP, 2) we would be sharing a bus, and 3) my bunk was directly over LP's.  Yep.  Silent freak out.  Fastforward back to the show, what a beautiful memory for both Val and myself (she loves them just as much as I do haha).  I couldn't tell you if I was more proud to see Val onstage or more excited to be dancing and singing in the crowd with Joan.  (She also knew all the words and we had quite a blast singing them to one another).

Verdict: Abnormal, but freeking awesome.


Exhibit C:

THURSDAY
I saw my friends' band, The New Limb.  All four of them live in a house together in Costa Mesa, and they are in my opinion, the best indie band locally.

They killed it.  From antics like jumping into the middle of the crowd and singing a cappella, to covering Cindy Lauper's "time after time" to the crazy instruments they used, they killed it through and through.  And then... My dear producer friend called.  :)  Haha see the top of entry for the rest of the night.

Verdict: Ridiculously Abnormal





There are more flavorful episodes that happened this week, but I fear that I fell rather behind in blogging with the house guest i've had for the past six days. More to come, and thank you for reading.

Always,

Liz Anne




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home